Why Use RP Oils (that can hurt your industry) When You Can Use Seal n Peel?
In the search for rust protection methods, there are many options to consider. However, traditional methods such as painting have not only proven inadequate. Not all metal parts must be painted after the manufacturing process as well. Another method is the use of corrosion inhibitor liquids or Rust Preventative (RP) oils. However, unlike effective protective coating methods such as seal n peel Unituff 452, RP oils have also been proven to be inadequate for rust prevention.
Here are reasons why RP oils are inferior against rust:
- RP oils are extremely labour intensive due to metal parts being dipped into oil-filled dip tanks (dip tanks are also hard to maintain.
- RP oils usually evaporate within 3-6 months of application, making reapplication necessary.
- When the time comes for the metal part to be used, or if phosphating or plating becomes necessary, removing the greasy oil is labour and time-intensive.
- Because the oil is greasy, contaminants can easily attach to the surface, often becoming the cause of rust formation.
- Disposing of large drums and oil-soaked rags can be very expensive.
- Storage of RP oils in a plant or warehouse can significantly increase insurance premiums because of the oil’s low flashpoint.
- RP oils are pollutants and can affect groundwater, streams, and lakes if improperly disposed of.
- The oils contain volatile organic compounds that pollute the air and are harmful to the health of workers.
- RP oils are also petroleum solvent-based, so its vapours can cause pulmonary irritation and dizziness if inhaled.
- The oil is harmful to human skin and can cause dermatitis.
- Spills can lead to slip and fall accidents that can be costly on health expenditures.
- RP oils have been known to contain carcinogens.
- RP oils aren’t even near effective at preventing rust and corrosion as protective coatings are.
Unituff 452 and Unituff OGS
When your company chooses to use protective coating, Unituff can help you with all corrosion prevention needs. Unituff can even analyse the current state of your corrosion prevention needs and work with you to implement Unituff 452 and Unituff OGS (specially made for stainless steel). Unituff’s mission is to provide your company with the right protective coating products, processes, and procedures to ensure that you can achieve maximum proactive preservation.